The Mets are back on the market without the Wilpons attached

The Mets are back on the market without the Wilpons attached

by Tim Reilly February 10, 2020 0 Comments

Hand up, I was wrong about the Steve Cohen deal. I had convinced myself that all the noise last week was just part of Cohen’s plan and that the Wilpons would eventually succumb to his demands.

Truth be told, they were very, very reasonable demands. Who would want to buy a team ready to win now only to wait five years to take complete control from the previous regime? To put that into a clearer context, Jacob deGrom's contract would have expired the year Cohen would have taken control of the Mets.  

This felt like a gut punch to the fan base and all the excitement that went with the thought of having a “do anything at all costs” owner were ripped out from beneath us. Does this mean the Wilpons stay? If so, who is to blame? Is MLB going to get involved? WHAT DOES THIS ALL MEAN?!? Well, we were given some clarity over the weekend with reports that the Mets are indeed back on the market and this time there will be no preconditions regarding control of the team. Why that condition wasn’t afforded to Cohen is beyond me. Your guess is as good as mine. Nonetheless, the Wilpons are ready to field new offers…

Let’s not forget Cohen had agreed to pay an MLB-record $2.6 BILLION to buy the Mets with those original stipulations in place. Cohen reacted to the deal falling apart by stating: “I’m very disappointed we couldn’t work out a deal,” he said last week, “but as an 8% holder I’m looking forward to a higher bid for the team.”

I’m not sure if Cohen is saying this tongue-in-cheek after already making a record-breaking offer or what. Regardless, all signs point to the Mets likely surpassing that inordinate amount of money from the next bidder due to the lifted stipulations. One thing the Wilpons still aren’t ready to part with? SNY. That’s staying in Wilpon control, according to reports.

I have all sorts of mixed emotions right now. I’m was still coming down off the high of Cohen buying the team when the deal fell apart, where I hit rock bottom again. While I’m upset we won’t be getting a Billionaire who was known to spare no expense, I’m happy that new offers will start flooding in.

The one mistake I won’t be making on the next go-around is trusting any news until I know the ink on a final term-sheet is dry. Spring Training is upon us and the Mets have a damn good roster. What billionaire sports fan wouldn't want to get deGrom, Alonso, McNeil, Syndergaard, Conforto and more in the prime of their careers? Owning a baseball team in New York is as good as it gets. 

Get this deal done already so we can avoid distracting conversations during what will hopefully be a championship season. LFGM. 




Tim Reilly
Tim Reilly

Author

T7L contributing blogger - Follow Tim on Twitter




Also in The 7 Line Blog

WHEN ARE THE SHORTS COMING?
WHEN ARE THE SHORTS COMING?

by Darren Meenan April 02, 2021 0 Comments

We're making shorts, and that's all people want to comment about. When are they coming???? 

Read More

There's Good Reason To Be Extra Grateful This Opening Day
There's Good Reason To Be Extra Grateful This Opening Day

by The 7 Line April 01, 2021 0 Comments

Count your blessing every New York Mets Opening Day you get to spend with your loved ones. 

Read More

Steve Cohen Backed a Brinks Truck Up and SIGNED FRANCISCO LINDOR
Steve Cohen Backed a Brinks Truck Up and SIGNED FRANCISCO LINDOR

by Tim Reilly April 01, 2021 0 Comments

Steve Cohen locked Francisco Lindor up to a record-breaking deal late Wednesday night. 

Read More

.video-container { position: relative; padding-bottom: 56.25%; padding-top: 30px; height: 0; overflow: hidden; }